Monday, November 7, 2011

Happy Hunting, Grandpa



Me & my "deer" Grandparents
Mary & Marion Rapp
(1966) 
      Here in Ohio, Fall brings a vivid change of season. 
Crispy nights, frosty mornings, colorful leaves swirling.
Perhaps more poetically representing the Autumn of our years. 
      The hunters among my family and friends are now trigger ready for deer season. I understand the need for balance in nature. I have come to accept the primal thrill of the hunt. But frankly I'm overjoyed when "Bambi" dodges a bullet. 
     Grandpa Rapp was a farmer, avid hunter and fisherman; keen observer of nature. In fact he was a 45-year charter member of the Rushcreek Sportsmans Club, in Hardin County, OH.
     As a little girl I became accustomed to the many deer heads mounted on the walls of my Grandparents' home; festively adorned during the Christmas holidays with stocking hats, ornaments hanging from antlers & red rubber noses
     After one unsuccessful hunting trip, Grandpa presented me with a small plastic deer souvenior. Although I could sense his disappointment when he told me this was the only deer he brought home, I was very happy!
     Grandpa had great times hunting with his sons and buddies. He was pleased to pass along his skills to his grandsons. But most importantly treasured their time together. In his later years he was simply content to tag along with them; strolling the forest and reminiscing amid the rustling sounds. 
     This is the first Fall...the first hunting season...we are without Grandpa. At the age of 96, on 12 June 2011, he passed away in his sleep after a short illness. But I believe Grandpa is surrounded by wondrous Nature at that proverbial Great Hunting Ground in the Sky.     
     Even tho we didn't share the same appreciation for the hunt, Grandpa & I did fish together. But that's another story.   
           

0 comments:

Post a Comment